Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Tourtière


Tourtière

The pie crust I used was from the inside of the package of lard (and make sure you use lard, not shortening!). I find the crust always works better for me when I do only a half batch... and quite nicely, the below filling amount filled up a half batch perfectly!

Filling:
  • 1lb ground pork
  • 4 strips of bacon, chopped
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1tsp sage
  • dash allspice
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 medium potato, grated
Saute together onions and garlic. I did this in 2tbsp lamb fat... but it would also work to do it with pork fat, or butter, I just happened to have lamb handy.

Once onions are translucent, add in bacon and ground pork. Cook through.

Add in potato and spices.

Let simmer together.

Add to pie crusts. 
Cook at 460F for 15 minutes and then lower the heat to 350F for another 45 minutes.

Cooks notes: This recipe was originally adapted from a friends family recipe. Since I'd never had Tourtière before, and I didn't know how people would receive it I decided to add bacon, and not add in some of the recommended spices. The recipe above shows all ingredients I decided to use. It was a huge hit at potluck last weekend, and the friend who's family recipe I adapted it from also gave it good reviews. I'm going to make that in the success column.

No comments:

Post a Comment